International Screendance Festival
MOVIMIENTO EN MOVIMIENTO # 8
OPEN CALL 2019
From May 1st, EXTENDED DEADLINE to August 25th.
The festival is interested in audiovisual productions that might be considered as screendance, dance film or videodance, with reflections in its narrative, meanings, body and audiovisual media, and related with PHILOSOPHY, SOCIETY and LITERATURE. These productions might include or exclude the human body.
Call addressed to artists who create:
* Screendance or dance films
* Experimental Films and Videos
* Live Screendance Performance by long distance video-call
This is the second year that the festival awards prizes to the best productions of the official selection: a national and an international award.
The eighth edition of Movimiento en Movimiento will be held from October 7 to 27, 2019. There will be screenings and exhibitions of the selected pieces at Centro de Cultura Digital, Museo Universitario del Chopo, Danza UNAM and ArtSpace in Mexico City; and live performances through video-calls. All the selected pieces will be part of the web archive of the festival in the PERMANENT GALLERY**, which is uploaded a few months after the celebration. (** The creators can choose to authorize only fragments of their work for this gallery). During the festival there will be a screendance laboratory, given by Mov en Mov team. This year the festival joins the celebration of the Centennial of Merce Cunningham, through the collaboration between Merce Cunningham Trust and REDIV (Iberoamerican Videodance Network) as a curatorial commission. The activities resulting from this collaboration are: 4 projections of thematic diagonals with works by Merce Cunningham (or around his work), the performance Not a Moment Too Soon by Ferran Carvajal with Trevor Carlson, and a workshop on the Merce Cunningham’s methodology by Trevor Carlson.
Last edition, in 2018, the prize winners were:
- National Screendance Award MOVIMIENTO EN MOVIMIENTO:
First place: Doublevision (Benito González. Mexico.)
Second place: Sin Titulo, Sub Título (Antonio Arango. Mexico.)
Third place: Golem (Diego Chacón, Alexander Dluzalt, Ernesto Zavala y Carmen Ixchel Maya. Mexico.)
Honorary mention: El libro de la leche (Alfredo Salomón y Alejandra Alarcón. Mexico.)
Honorary mention: Exige otro t i e m p o (Dalia Ju. Mexico.)
Jury: Anna Macdonald, Andrea Keiz and a vote by Movimiento en Movimiento.
- International Screendance Award MOVIMIENTO EN MOVIMIENTO:
First place: This Dance Has No End (Fenia Kotsopoulou. Greece.)
Second place: Leer (Thomas Bos. The Netherlands.)
Third place: Emotional Houdini (Allison Beda & Tara Cheyenne Friedenberg. Canada.)
Honorary mention: No more Beautiful Dances (Anabella Lenzu. Argentina.)
Honorary mention: A la Manera de David (Pedro Costa Prohens. Chile.)
Honorary mention: Medium Rare (Luca Cioci. Italy.)
Jury: Anna Macdonald, Alessandra Pisu, and a vote by Movimiento en Movimiento.
Movimiento en Movimiento started in 2013 in Mexico City. It’s already had the participation of 200 national and international creators who have authorized the festival to upload their films to the permanent gallery in the festival website. Movimiento en Movimiento has celebrated seven editions so far. It has been held at: Museo Universitario del Chopo, SOMA, Sala de Arte Público Siqueiros, and Centro de Cultura Digital.
The curatorial team consists of the festival director, plus two screendance experts, Nayeli Benhumea and Lucitzel Pedroso, who have joined the Mov en Mov team to celebrate, collect and share this hybrid art made by dance and audiovisuals. Mov in Mov had its background in Berlin, 2008, when the festival MOTION was founded by Yolanda M. Guadarrama, the present director of Movimiento en Movimiento, in complicity with Jenny Haack, a German creator and professor. MOTION continued its existence in Berlin until 2013.
Movimiento en Movimiento is a non-profit festival.
* IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEM TO REGISTER AT FILMFREEWAY, EMAIL US: email@example.com
AWARDS AND PRIZES
National Screendance Award MOVIMIENTO EN MOVIMIENTO:
A prize will be awarded to the best audiovisual work made by a Mexican creator (director or choreographer), which will consist of: up to 800 USD.*
International Screendance Award MOVIMIENTO EN MOVIMIENTO:
A prize will be awarded to the best audiovisual work made by an international creator, which will consist of: up to 800 USD.*
* The total amount of the prize will depend on the number of entries to this call, ranging between 500 and 800 dollars as minimum and maximum limits.
RULES AND TERMS
* IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS TO REGISTER AT FILMFREEWAY, WRITE TO US firstname.lastname@example.org
OPEN CALL 2019
From May 1st to August 15th.
We call screendance, dance film and audiovisual artists —creators of audiovisual works that hold a composition and artistic-choreographic movement of bodies or objects in their creations— to submit their works to participate in the 8th edition of the festival. This year Movimiento en Movimiento will be celebrated at Centro de Cultura Digital, Museo del Chopo, Danza UNAM and ArtSpace from October 7th to 27th in Mexico City. The selected works will be included in the Permanent Gallery of Movimiento en Movimiento on the web **:
(** Creators can choose to authorize only fragments of their work for this gallery.)
We also call to submit Live Screendance Performances by long distance video-calls. See number 10 in the rules and terms.
Up to 20 works will be chosen to be part of this edition.
The official selection will be elected by three experts in Screendance, (Movimiento en Movimiento team) and the selection of the awarded pieces will be done by invited international juries, in agreement with the festival team. The elections of the jury will be unappealable.
Audiovisual works will be accepted according to the following rules and terms:
1) Short audiovisual pieces from 1 to 20 minutes.
2) Although Screendance, dance film and videodance are interdisciplines that takes up the qualities of dance and audiovisual, we are interested in the discursive possibilities generated by these languages in the crossing with other disciplines, so we especially value the works that have reflections on: PHILOSOPHY, SOCIETY and LITERATURE either explicitly or symbolically.
3) We accept those experimental audiovisual works that have a choreographic intention in their structure, whether they show movements made by objects, drawings, digital strokes, or movements by the camera, dancers or actors.
4) We do not accept documentation of stage pieces, only those that have been adapted into an audiovisual language.
5) One same creator can send up to three pieces.
6) The last day to submit audiovisual works will be on August 15th, 2019.
7) Before finishing your submission, ensure that your projects in FilmFreeway contain, in addition to the audiovisual work, the following information and files: a) Brief synopsis of the work. b) Brief biographical note of the creator or creators. c) Mention the nationality of each creator. d) At least 3 photographs of the work in good resolution. e) A photograph of the director or creator (one for each creator) in good resolution. f) Year of creation of work. g) Complete credits.
8) Movimiento en Movimiento is a non-profit festival. To submit your films and videos, a donation of 13 dollars is requested up to June 30th, and 15 dollars for late submission starting on July 1st. These amounts will be used to support the prizes and carry out the administration of the call.
9) Creators of the selected works commit themselves to:
a) Send the digital file of the piece (in HD resolution, .MOV format or .MP4 with codec H264) to email@example.com from August 21 to 28, 2019.
b) Fill out an authorization letter: official selection creators will receive the format by mail, it shall be completed online. The authorization letter format will ask for a brief synopsis of the work, a brief biographical note, and other information required for promotion. Also, through this format, photographs of the piece and of creators should be sent.
c) Arrange an appointment to have a 2 minutes interview by video call online (Skype), interviews shall be finished before September 10th. The interviews will be about the films and creative experiences of the artists.
10) PERFORMANCES: We accept 3 to 10 minutes performances. They will be performed live by video call (Skype) and can be broadcast from anywhere in the world on October 25 and 26, 2019. Performance must be proposed to the festival through a script, semblance of its content, photographs and / or preliminary video recording. These pieces will have to adjust to the thematic lines that the festival seeks, mentioned in the description section of the festival. These works are not eligible for prizes. Movimiento en Movimiento is a non-profit festival, to submit your performance, a donation of 6 dollars is requested up to June 30th, and 10 dollars for late submission starting on July 1st. These amounts will be used to carry out the administration of the call.
11) If the audiovisual work has sound in a languish different to Spanish, and it is selected, the work will be requested with subtitles in Spanish or we will need the transcription and translation of the text in order to subtitle it.
If you have any doubts or problems with the FILMFREEWAY platform, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
The creators of the selected works will receive a notification by email, and the results will be announced on August 20, 2019 on the website: https://movimientoenmovimiento.wordpress.com
And on our social networks FB and TW.
Movimiento en Movimiento does not have any budget for travel or per diem expenses, if directors of the official selection wish to join the activities, they will be responsible for their expenses. You’re more welcome to join us!
To submit a piece, enter the following platform: